I've been working again at the BMCA clay studio since March 1...but haven't felt like writing. Sorry about that. The image that I'm persuing is goddess in trees. It's turning into a series actually.
Since none of them are completed yet, there aren't any pictures, yet. Soon though.
Decisions to be made first. To glaze or not to glaze.
The Black Mountain Center for the Arts clay studio now has many new glazes, which can be combined a bunch and really look fabulous together.
But I've had the experience that glazes just have a mind of their own, and seldom look just like those great little test tiles. So it's a leap of faith, and I'm not sure my sculptures would be ok with zooming off into the fire of chance and coming out any way that glass might happen on them.
Trees have been talking to me. I started looking around whenever I was outdoors, which was pretty seldom with the cold winter around here...looking for trees that seemed to have a feminine twist. Didn't identify any, actually. So I thought, why is there a "green man" who's face is sometimes seen in trees? After all, a green woman would be just as possible.
So with that inspiration, I started putting faces, hearts, yonis (is the plural of that word yonis, or yonies?) and breasts...onto sculptural trees. Roots, I love the curves of roots. And branches, both those that are reaching up or out, and those which have now disappeared with the wonderful whorls left on the main trunk. Trees show their histories.
In honor of my friend who recently lost her breasts, I made a tree with inspirational substitutes in the location of breasts. A nest with some eggs sits in place of a right breast, and a mother bird on a branch for the left one. She's a Tufted Tit Mouse, of course. The folks in the studio got a kick out of that.
SO that's what's happening in my creative life. What's happening in yours?
No comments:
Post a Comment
No anonymous comments will be accepted, sorry. But otherwise, I look forward to letting everyone what you think!