Sunday, January 31, 2010

Snow again for a pagan holy day







In December we had a heavy snow storm which cancelled our Winter Solstice party. UUCSV cancelled our Bridgit program for today's service also due to snow.
Imbolc is the Celtic time that tells spring is going to return soon.


So today is supposed to get higher than 32...and the sun is actually out. The increased snow that was forecast overnight never came, or was just a dusting. This time the city of Black Mountain actually plowed my dead-end street, as well as the one at the bottom of the hill. Mine is down to blacktop with just a bit of ice on it. The one at the bottom of the hill, Montreat Rd, is a main drag around here...but has snow under the part that's plowed. At least this time there are 2 lanes plowed, but I'm not sure why the sand/salt treatment wasn't used. I walked down the plowed street going over to the church yesterday,to post the cancellation notice.

The pagan holy day has to do with the wheel of the year. Tomorrow is Bridgit's holy day, Imbolc, turned into Candlemas by Christians. However it's spelled, Bridgette, Bridgid, Bride, celebrates a goddess turned into a Saint... she was the Irish goddess of the land of green...and still is. Brigid is goddess of poetry, healing and smithcraft. Imbolc is a time of rededication of those who follow the more pagan or magikal paths.


Brigid is noted to have asked the ruler of Ireland at one time (when she was in mortal form perhaps) for more land on which to graze her cattle...and he apparently said, "sure," (being facetious of course) "you may have as much land as your cloak may cover." So she (being a goddess of course) flung her magikal cloak out and it expanded and expanded and then covered the whole if the Irish Isle. So Bridgette is still the whole of Ireland. Just go to Ireland and find how much the goddess is still part of place there.


I'll not tell all her stories, like the one of the ancient flame kept in her honor, nor the temple to her that became a convent carrying on the same rituals when Christianity came to the land. I will mention that Bridgid taught people how to whistle and how to keen. Story telling is an ancient art which is still practiced by Celtic peoples as much as poetry is inspired by Bridgit. The people here in western North Carolina include some very talented story-tellers.


So our dear friend, Byron Ballard, who was to give the talk at our UUCSV about Brigid, will be invited back for another time. I know her talk planned for today would have been great.


The holy day continues, and I'll be observing it as I have for several years. I do hope to go into Asheville next weekend to share Imbolc with other pagan people. There is something very precious in sharing in circle...where heirarchy disappears with patriarchy. Ahhh, a relaxation can happen to my soul.


Blessed Be.







No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymous comments will be accepted, sorry. But otherwise, I look forward to letting everyone what you think!