Wednesday, March 24, 2010

sculptor not potter

I've clarified my own definition of what I do, of what I love to do. I love sculpting, not potting. I'm sure I'm not at all influenced by what happened yesterday.

On Fri I threw on the wheel for the first time in 3 months. Sat. I finished the bowl, which had some slab handwork around the top. Set it aside before I could trim it at leather-hard stage. That took till yesterday. Must have had a lot of humidity these last few days. Oh, my wrists were sore on Sat. from just throwing about 6 pounds. Ugh.

The trimming was going very well, but I kind of had a huge foot, and then I had a huge hole in the bottom of the bowl. Not the first time. So I threw a pancake and patched it into the hole, and went home. Will smooth it out when I go into studio in an hour probably, and perhaps save all that effort for one bowl. I'm trying to make a singing bowl, which has such thin walls it will make a pretty tone. But with the patch, that's highly unlikely.

I've got none of the goddess-trees finished, but waiting in the kiln room still. There are 5 at least so far...all differnet batches of left over clays. Today I think I'll do some more low fire red tree goddess making. It feels like a good day to start another one. I have a white clay tree that needs glazing, but needs some brush work that I'm putting off till I have another one too.

I did get some reglazing finished on some old mugs. They didn't turn beautiful that way. Oh well. They're functional. T he new glaze was to add some softness to the satin glaze that kind of was underfired looking. That happened, but there's also a kind of dirty cup look to them now, like the coffee hasn't been washed off. They will just be my home mugs probably now. They already have been for a long time!

Tonight is a Rise Up and Call Her Name class at the UU church here in Black Mountain. This is just the 3rd of 13, and the whole series promises to be really great. There are three wonderful facilitators, and this time I'm just a participant.

Oh, I forgot to mention that a week ago I turned in my resignation as the church administrator. Whow, it feels really good...I'm free in another 3 weeks. I'm telling them I won't be available to help after that. Mainly I'm so glad to not be pushed and shoved to be someone I'm not. I don't change my personality at this age. And in spite of lots of good people asking, I'm not willing to talk about it with a committee in order to help. Issues that were already resolved should somehow have a rubber stamp that says, finished, completed, so forget it already. Or perhaps the other parties just didn't want the issues resolved, and told people as if they were still current. The other people and other people and so on...petty politics in my view. At any rate, for me they are over. Ahhh.

I am a sculptor. I make goddesses. That's what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.

Barbara Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymous comments will be accepted, sorry. But otherwise, I look forward to letting everyone what you think!