Friday, October 30, 2009

More Raku work

This hummingbird mask has been sitting around for about a year, waiting for me to get in the mood/ and get the right colors to glaze her. She is unfinished, because the piece will have feathers above the face when I've gone to the store and found what she needs. I do like the Mayco glazes as well as Raku glazes...a combination of colors that are true and colors that are metalic.
I was amazed that the white earthenware worked so well also, in raku work, with the sudden temperature changes.

This is the same hooded figure that I posted last time. Now I re-fired her with some more raku glazes...so the bare matt-black clay is no longer so dominant. Of course other folks now say they liked her better before...but I like her better now. You can see the movement of the clay skirt and so forth with the glazes that kind of blend in and out in the light.

And I think the white cowl for her front helps also...tying her white face to the arms and the greenery necklace.


This is one of my masks...which I made last year and never got the right glazes to do the final work.




The Mayco Stroke N Coat glazes are the white, black and oranges, with Raku clear over them.



The eyes were yellow, and it burned down to white. I'm ok with that.





No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymous comments will be accepted, sorry. But otherwise, I look forward to letting everyone what you think!