Sunday, June 7, 2009

arts & crafts show

Don't get your hopes up, no pictures. I went today to the Old Depot organization's arts & crafts show (whatever the exact name is, I forgot) here in Black Mountain, NC.

It was great weather, hot and sunny, but not too hot. And I personally liked the fact that the crowd wasn't too heavy. The artists probably did not. I mainly browsed the pottery, and the many water-colorists. There were jewelers in abundance, and a few house/yard type crafts. The work was everything from good to expert...and prices were pretty accurate. There were also some really low prices, probably geared for the economy.

Silk scarves, hand painted, just $12. Raku vases, gorgeous fire-licked colors, just $15.

And the watercolors were super, mainly because I'm a closet watercolorist. I'll never come out, because I can't do what those artists can. So I really admire the brilliant colors, the control on one hand, and the looseness of the flowing paint on the other.

I'm kind of in the dumps. First David Caradine died this week. I didn't know I cared, until I noticed myself moping around about it. I did love Kung Fu (mainly on re-runs for years).

And I'm still getting over the shock of Dr. Tiller's murder, which Starhawk put in proper perspective to me as an act of terrorism toward all women...saying the same old mantra "your bodies do not belong to you (in spite of the law) and those doctors who offer you a choice will be killed, which also translates as a threat to all you women." I am so tired of women's civil rights not counting in this culture (in any culture?)

Add to that a plane crash in the Atlantic, and I just feel so sad.

Why? People are on the news having many different horrible things happen all the time. Today I loved Sally Beth Shore, our minister, saying that she looks at Happynews.com to find a sunny side to things.

I think it's partly that I'm judging my own art harshly today. I kind of have an idea, (inspiration?) but when I look at what I've already made, I don't feel inspired to move into the next step. What I've already made is a lot of hodge podge. Trying out so many different things, it makes my head spin. Different styles too. And when a piece is finished, and I live with it for a while, I usually decide it's not as good as it should be. There are a few goddesses which I enjoy having around. And a few mugs, bowls, platters, vases, etc. I'm so glad I've made them.

OK, now I'll quit while I'm ahead. And I'll let the goddess in her many manifestations take care of women's issues for now...and perhaps after I have some pizza I'll be more satisfied.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymous comments will be accepted, sorry. But otherwise, I look forward to letting everyone what you think!