Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mt. Mitchell day trip

There were some pretty wild (?) flowers alongside the road, but not many places I could stop to take pictures. I skipped all the "scenic overlooks" last Friday.

It had been raining for at least 3 days and finally we had some sunshine, though there were still clouds hanging around. I wish I'd had a chance to capture some of this water to bring home, but just after taking this pic, I saw a sign saying I was now in the Asheville watershed, and couldn't legally even stop beside the road any more.

That was ok, as it was a nice steady drive and I finally figured out how to have the side windows both down and take pics through them, or in this case, hold the camera out the window over the top of the car, and hope it wouldn't be too cock-eyed crazy...because the cloud was so neat right over the field between me and the next mountain crest. I did have a bumble bee who flew right in the window once, landing in my hair...so I stopped pretty fast, pulled to the side of the road, opened the door right after the car that had been behind me passed by, and shook her outside. We were both in shock, you'd better believe it...since she'd falled down inside my glasses next to my eye when I opened the door. She and the glasses fell out on the pavement...then she recovered and took off. I said, see, aren't you glad I've been so good to all your fellows this spring while they ate nectar from my azaleas and cherry blossoms!


I started out going to Craggy Gardens, but it was pretty dull, no flowers yet, and no view to speak of because of clouds. So I just kept going (thanking heavens the road was no longer barricaded) to Mt. Mitchell. Here's the first tunnel on the way.



And here's the actual construction that was still active where there had been a landslide a couple of years ago. The Parkway had been closed in this stretch ever since I moved here in 2007. So I was estatic to have a chance to drive straight up from Swannanoa. 36 miles got me there!





My trusty little Toyota.




This is looking back down the path that leads up to the lookout platform on top of Mt. Mitchell. Believe me I was out of breath and stopped for lots of picture taking while dealing with oxygen deprivation up there (for me anyway).



I thought of Tim Perry, who is about to hike the Mountains to Sea Trail...and thought this must be a place he'd be passing by ...the highest actually...as it was right off the path going up to the observation platform.


So was this little trail. I think it's the one I went down last year which has a little spring. I'll have to go back and check it out!




The final leg of the path was pretty steep... pant pant pant...

And of course the poor Fraiser Firs are all dying back from algelid (or however it's spelled).



Not sure which lake or reservoir is depicted from on the platform...but there sure were lots of valleys and mountains to see.
And a nice little map of the state with each direction given. There are also 4 completely mapped panoramas with details of each mountain and town you can see...but they are really more fun when you're actually up there...so I'll let you go see them yourself.




This is the profile of the platform...


and here's the ramp that leads you up to it.



The next highest peak is right next door to Mt. Mitchell.




And of course I had to prove I actually got there!






Further down the road, I was able to see the Burnett Reservoir, which holds my drinking water. The recent rains have meant we are now at a normal level for this year, but the previous years drought means we still have a deficit.





This was rain water pouring down the mountain.

I finally painted one of my slab flower pots...it's full of lovely herbs. It's also full of lovely memories of my visit to my son while he was at Penland.
I'm so glad to have this blog to share my pictures with you...and to save them for myself also!


No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymous comments will be accepted, sorry. But otherwise, I look forward to letting everyone what you think!