Thursday, February 19, 2009

Beautiful pottery/sculptures


Here are some more of the pots that are in the Mezo-American exhibit at the Mint Museum in Charlotte.




I liked these polychrome paintings on huge platters. And if I remember my Art History correctly, the indigenous people in the America didn't have potter's wheels until the Spaniards arrived. So my guess is these were coil built. SOrry I didn't copy the blurb under them, but it didn't say how they were constructed or painted anyway.


Warning! This is gorey as any movie could be...and it's in a museum. I can only say, when you get to looking at the figure, it sure doesn't look like the description. (Figure is after description, so you can skip the reading if you want).











Again, the description comes first...






Isn't it great to see a woman holding a child, with red paint on them? Before the Christians even arrived and turned every female that was honored in art into Mary?



















Next there are a couple of Mayan gods/goddesses on a cup. I take issue with the description of what the old god is doing to honor the moon goddess. Perhaps the cup was formed for priests/priestesses to laugh over when drinking their morning cuppa. But to me if you're going to the trouble of drawing your dieties on cups, they probably would be doing a ritual, giving homage to those great goddess breasts. Just my interpretation.
















That's all I have time to download today...there are still some more early American Women Potters works I want to share. I must admit, I skipped the early craftspeople who just made jugs and bottles which are kind of 'nondescript' and only took pictures of what I liked.











No comments:

Post a Comment

No anonymous comments will be accepted, sorry. But otherwise, I look forward to letting everyone what you think!